Dearest Poopers, Please forgive my delay in updating the site of late. I've been deep in the Northwoods of Wisconsin traveling, camping, and pooping in holes. Meanwhile, there's so much excitement happening back in New York, with two POOP events coming up next week, and one special event I know you'll enjoy.
1. Tues, 7/12, 6:30pm, "A Sustainable Future: Green Innovations." A panel conversation with Andrew Faust (Center for Bioregional Living), Paul S. Mankiewicz, Ph.D. (The Gaia Institute) and John McLaughlin (Bureau of Environmental Planning and Analysis, DEP). Hosted by the Visitor Center at Newtown Creek, and moderated by The Puru.
2. Sat, 7/16, 10am-4pm, City of Water Day Festival. Stop by the POOP table during this FREE day of entertainment, education & adventure on Governor's Island celebrating the potential of our NYC/NJ waterfront!
The Special Event!
Click the picture above to see the full flyer, or click HERE to get complete directions to the Visitor Center at Newtown Creek.
July 16: City of Water Day Festival in NY & NJ From the upper Hudson to Raritan Bay, we are a City of Water. Spread the word and come to the waterfront on July 16, City of Water Day! On this day, the Metropolitan Waterfront Alliance gathers many partners to showcase the potential of the New York/New Jersey Harbor. Come, enjoy, and help us revitalize the waterfront with this annual, one-of-a-kind festival for the entire family!
This year, festivities will take place at Governors Island and Liberty State Park. Free ferries will get you to Governors Island from Manhattan and Brooklyn (click here for the schedules) and to Liberty State Park. (Click here for the schedule of free transportation between Governors Island and Liberty State Park, and here for information about other ways to get to Liberty State Park.)
- FREE boat tours for thousands on historic and educational vessels. Click here for more information
- FREE kayaking, rowing and fishing opportunities
- Dozens of FREE arts, crafts, games and activities for kids
- FREE ferries between Governors Island & Liberty State Park
- An amazing range of demonstrations, hands-on projects, free merchandise and water-related literature at the Waterfront Activity Fair--INCLUDING THE POOP PROJECT TABLE!
- Car-free waterfront bicycling
- Delicious food from award-winning vendors
- Live music, and much more!!!
If you can't make it to Liberty State Park or Governors Island on July 16, enjoy City of Water Day festivities at other waterfronts around the metropolitan region, including Harlem River Park, Brooklyn Bridge Park, Staten Island, Bronx River Park, Battery Park City and Hudson River Park. Click here for information about City of Water Day in Your Neighborhood.
Wednesday, July 13, 7-10:00 PM
TESS DWORMAN performing an intimate, solo dance piece
PAUL PINTO AND JEFFREY YOUNG (OF THINGNY) performing a mini opera tentatively entitled Jeffrey Young and Paul Pinto Run for Office with the Help of Paul Pinto as his Wingman.
ANYA LIFTIG * performance art * performance art *
BEN SPATZ/MAXIMILIAN BALDUZZI/URBAN RESEARCH THEATER
MATTHEW STEPHEN SMITH an excerpt from A Gathering of Very Articulate Individuals
CHRISTY WALSH performing her I had a dream of an endless string of beautiful days in the desert, a dance/video work
PPL composer BRIAN MCCORKLE, performing an excerpt from the work-in-progress Institute_Institut concert-style with MEGAN COOPER, GREG LOEWER JR, DANIELLA FISCHETTI, AND MATTHEW STEPHEN SMITH
Bob the Pavilion is a composting toilet and inflated platform for performance and more http://www.bobthepavilion.com/
Bob The Pavilion was supported by a grant from Columbia University School of the Arts (SOA) and Graduate School of Architecture, Preservation, and Planning (GSAPP).
Very much looking forward to seeing everyone there and wishing you, as always, peaceful pooping.
Shawn "The Puru" Shafner