Dearest Poopers, Thank you to all those who came out to Club Make and Do's show this past Thursday. It was a smash! And I got a chance to show off my new hat.
But that's old news now. And I know you crave more. More! MORE!!!
So get your calendars out, because here's what's coming up:
- Tuesday, Sept. 20: panel conversation about urban farming at the Visitor Center at Newtown Creek
- Saturday, Sept. 24: performance lecture on the history if shit at the Vent Festival
- Saturday, Oct. 1: tabling at the NEW New York D-I-Y Block Party
- Tuesday, Oct. 4: The Clap is featured as part of Adult Education
- Wednesday, Oct. 19: the premiere of Eat $h*t: How Our Waste Can Save the World at Dixon Place
- Tuesday, Oct. 25: panel conversation about technology for green communities at the Visitor Center at Newtown Creek
- Tuesday, Nov. 1: panel conversation about composting at (you guessed it!) the Visitor Center
But it's a Saturday, so for now here's details on just the first two.
The POOP Project is proud to once again play moderator for a series of panel events at the Visitor Center at Newtown Creek, the city's largest wastewater treatment plant. Join us this Tuesday, September 20th from 6:30-8:30pm for presentations and conversations all about urban farming!
Annie Novak, who feeds Greenpoint from the Eagle Street Rooftop Farms and teaches urbanites where their food comes from.
Dr. Dickson Despommier whose vision, The Vertical Farms, would enable cities to feed themselves from skyscrapers.
Inger Staggs Yancey from Brooklyn Greenroof, using thirsty plants to transform city roofs into ecological mega-machines.
For more information about and directions to the Visitor Center at Newtown Creek in Greenpoint, Brooklyn, CLICK HERE or on the poster above.
Now if you've got something to say (and who doesn't?), consider joining me next Saturday for the Vent Festival at Gowanus Studio Space!
The POOP Project is pleased to join the Vent Festival from 6-9pm to fume about The Agony and the Excrement, a humorous performance lecture about the history of sanitation and the social factors that lead to "shameful shitting." If you missed this lecture at Adult Education earlier this year, now's your chance! The line-up will also include Damali Abrams, Danielle Abrams, Aisha Cousins, D'Luxe, Jason Gaspar and the Rant Van.
THEN come back the next day for a 1pm performance workshop with veteran performance artist Rob Andrews and a 4pm artist's conversation featuring Danielle Abrams, Rob Andrews, Coral Short, Aisha Cousins and D'Luxe. Moderated by Maya Suess, the beautiful, brainy and benevolent curator of the whole darned thing.
As a bonus, I'd like to leave you with a video from another project I'm involved in that generates applause for the public good. We call it The Clap because the joy's contagious. You can learn more on the Facebook page.
Wishing you a great weekend and, as always, peaceful pooping.
Shawn "The Puru" Shafner